The balancing act. 7 Tips for a happier, healthier life. By Jessica Breust
In Chinese medicine the body and in turn our health is viewed as a whole. Your feelings, attitude and emotional being is equally as important to your health as the physical, and often affects us physically as well if left out of balance for to long. In other words, our emotional state has a direct response to our physical well-being.
Below are a few of my life lessons and personal tips for a happier, healthier life. Enjoy.
1. Every day is a new beginning. Treat it that way. Stay away from what might have been and focus on what can be.
2. One of the simplest ways to stay happy is to let go of what makes you sad. Surrender it over. It no longer serves you. Now I’m not saying go ahead and quit your job (unless that is what feels right for you), but maybe surrender over all the anger, frustration and pain you are holding onto around that situation and try viewing it from a different perspective. Be grateful for what it does offer you (lifestyle, etc) and what you have learnt from it (which could be patience).
3. Always laugh when you can. It’s cheap medicine. Take time out to watch a funny movie, go to a comedy festival, catch up with friends/family that bring you joy, act like a kid, just have fun! It’s great for letting go of stress, great for your heart health (in Chinese medicine joy is related to your Heart), and in itself is healing.
4. Take time to enjoy the simple things. Stop and smell the roses so to speak. Enjoy moments with your kids, laughing with friends and family, read a good book, go for a walk outside and smell the air, enjoy your favorite meal, explore where you live, and well you get the point. There is so much to be grateful for in the “little” things in life.
5. Take time out to sit and be still. In our day we go a thousand miles an hour, always on the go. If you did this to your car, it would eventually let go and fall apart. You do not want this for yourself! Each day stop take a few breathes and just let your world go quiet. Your breathe brings you back to centre, to the present moment. Stop and take 3 deep conscious breathes and see how you feel. You can do this at your work desk, in the car at the lights, or even create a special place where you go each day to just Be. Be kind to yourself and take time out each day.
6. Be grateful and forgive! Gratitude and forgiveness are amazing as in the process it sets you free and invites more good in. To forgive may be a tricky one in some cases, especially when you feel hurt, or used. But to forgive does not mean saying that another person’s actions or the situation was right or even ok, what it means is that you forgive that person/situation for not being what you wanted or expected to be and you set them free. In the process you free yourself, you are no longer attached to the problem or the pain and you can start to feel good again. Remember it’s also important to forgive ourselves, to long we beat ourselves up, forgive and set yourself free
To practice gratitude daily is a brilliant practice. It reminds us of all we have to be grateful for in our life, and in the process of sending beautiful vibes out to the universe it invites more in. This may sound far-fetched, but I’m a big believer in what you put out there you get back. By holding love and gratitude daily for all you are blessed with you start to focus on the good in your life, your energy and perception of the world, even for a moment shifts. Instead of focusing on all the don’t wants and don’t haves, you allow your being to take in all that you do receive daily and invite more of that in.
7. One of the greatest discoveries in one’s life is to realize that a person can change their future by changing their Mind and attitude. Start to see your world how you want it to be, focus on that. By combining this exercise with daily gratitude you will start to see things in your world shift. Don’t forget to act on it to. You can visualize as much as you like but you must also put action in to get a result.